highlord Bolvar and choosing effect cards

Stuck in the middle of a game, ask your question here, probably someone will be able to help.
hiroaki
highlord Bolvar and choosing effect cards

Unread post by hiroaki » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:13 pm

hello there,

if my opponent has bolvar (see below) on the field and i play card that says "you can destroy an opposing equipment, ability or ally", do i have to choose ally (and so highlord bolvar) or can i first choose one of the options, so that i can take equipment or ability?

Ghost

Re: highlord Bolvar and choosing effect cards

Unread post by Ghost » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:23 am

I'm 99% sure you would have to target Bolvar in this case, due to the wording on that card (it's "Fire and Brimstone" right?).

If the card were worded something like this: "Choose ability, ally, or equipment. Destroy target card of that type." Then you could choose either equipment or ability and get around Bolvars power - but with the card Fire and Brimstone you can't.
hiroaki

Unread post by hiroaki » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:50 am

Nope, it's not Fire and Brimstone, but something like that :P
Some friends and me played Ragnaros-Raid and one of his cards said sth similiar to Fire and Brimstone. So you say i have to target Bolvar except the card says "Choose" before?
Spass

Unread post by Spass » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:41 am

Do you mean one of these two?

Hammer of Ragnaros - Destroy target ability, ally, or equipment. Its controller destroys another one of his abilities, allies, or equipment.
Lava Pool - Destroy target ability, ally, or equipment.

Both of them say "target", so it goes to Bolvar.
Thalvin

Unread post by Thalvin » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:22 am

Hey there!

If the card your opponent is playing has the ability to target Bolvar, it has to target Bolvar.

In the case you cited (you can destroy an opposing equipment, ability or ally), because it has "ally" as one of the card types it can target, it has to target him.

Hope this helps!