Righteousness Aura + Monstrous Upheaval

Post any question or suggestion related to WoW TCG here.
disc0dancer
Righteousness Aura + Monstrous Upheaval

Unread post by disc0dancer » Thu May 10, 2012 3:13 pm

This is a general question about parsing the card's text:

Righteousness Aura Says:
If a hero or ally in your party would deal damage, it deals that much +1 instead.

Monstrous Upheaval Says:
Your hero deals 2 melee damage to target hero or ally for each Monster hero and ally you control.

If I have 4 monsters in play, does MU deal 2 damage four times or it deals 8 damage once. The sentence can be parsed both ways:

[ Your hero deals 2 melee damage to target hero or ally ] for [ each Monster hero and ally you control. ]
or
Your hero deals [ 2 melee damage to target hero or ally for each Monster hero and ally you control. ]

In the first case, the damage done with the aura would be 12. In the second case it would be 9. Also, if the second case holds, then it could be made much clearer by stating it like this:

Your hero deals melee damage to target hero or ally equal to the number of Monster hero or allies you control times 2.
Modicai

Re: Righteousness Aura + Monstrous Upheaval

Unread post by Modicai » Sun May 13, 2012 7:41 pm

I had this come up with Manaburn and Elekk.
When something says "for each" it totals that count before you have the chance to modify it.

Aura + Upheaval + 4 Monsters = 9 damage.
Mana Burn(1 damage for each resource) + Elekk(+2damage) + 4 Resources = 6 damage. Sadly not 12.
kaalnorth

Re: Righteousness Aura + Monstrous Upheaval

Unread post by kaalnorth » Tue May 29, 2012 4:43 pm

Luckily for me and my paladin its all added together. Against a murloc deck I'd have taken about 56 pts of dmg on turn 4.. Horsemans Horrific Helm saved my bacon.

Died not long after though.