Aessina - Explain how she adds health?

Stuck in the middle of a game, ask your question here, probably someone will be able to help.
xsycamorex
Aessina - Explain how she adds health?

Unread post by xsycamorex » Thu May 16, 2013 11:24 pm

I have the card Aessina in my Monster Paladin deck, and she has the following power:

Other friendly monster heroes and allies have +10 (health droplet).

I had always played this card by adding ten health counters to my hero and monster allies. For example: if my undamaged ally has 5 health printed on the card, I would add ten to that, so it has fifteen health. If my damaged hero has a printed 28 health, but is down to 23 health, I would add ten to put it at 33 health.

I played a game today where my opponent said she was told that this type of card would add ten health maximum, but not actually give those health points to the ally or hero. For example: my previous undamaged ally has 5 health printed on the card, but this ally has the maximum of fifteen health - but will not get to fifteen without another card to heal it to fifteen. If my previous damaged hero has a printed 28 health, but is down to 23 health, it has the maximum of 38 health, but will not get to 38 without another card to heal it to 38.

To me, it's giving ten health. If an undamaged card has five health, I believe this ally gives it fifteen health and should not have to heal, as it wasn't damaged.

Please help me clear this up, as I'd like to take it out of my deck if my thoughts are incorrect. Thank you.
duckwc

Re: Aessina - Explain how she adds health?

Unread post by duckwc » Sun May 19, 2013 9:06 am

Hi, in fact, there are no health counters. Health is written and there are damage counters. Aessina has a modifier, it means that the allies and heroes have their written number +10 health. However, this does not remove any damage that was already on those cards. A card is destroyed when the damage counters on it equals or goes over the health of the character.
If Aessina is destroyed, this written number goes back to was it was before and all heroes and allies that have more damage on them than their health will be destroyed...
xsycamorex

Unread post by xsycamorex » Sun May 19, 2013 2:02 pm

Thank you for your assistance. It seems that we had been playing the opposite way that most do - we were counting down health, rather than counting up damage. We will switch our playing style now, but I'm glad to know that my thoughts on the card's power actually were correct. Thank you again!
Killax

Unread post by Killax » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:25 am

Great quick awnser. Comming from MtG I also had the same question back in the HoA days.

Cheers,
Thalvin

Unread post by Thalvin » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:42 pm

Hey there!

You are correct about how the health should be added. You have increased the maximum HP of a character, but the damage on that character has not changed.

For example, you have an ally with a max HP of 5 with one damage on it, so it has 4 HP remaining. You then increase it's maximum HP by 10. It's max HP is now 15, but the damage on that character has not changed, so it now has 14 remaining HP.