Can heroes attack without a weapon? And more.

Stuck in the middle of a game, ask your question here, probably someone will be able to help.
Spass
Can heroes attack without a weapon? And more.

Unread post by Spass » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:19 am

Let's say my hero don't have a weapon, but some other card gave him Assault 3. Can I attack with that hero? If yes, what type of attack is that, melee?

And similar question for totems without printed attack type/value. Can I play Primal Strike on my Fire Nova Totem when it's defending in combat? And what type of attack it gains? Or maybe I can give +X ATK only on totems, which have printed attack type with 0 on it?
Killax

Re: Can heroes attack without a weapon? And more.

Unread post by Killax » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:50 pm

You can. You can even attack for 0 if your Heroe does not have Assault or any other form of ATK boost.

You can also boost the ATK value of totems, which is generally considerd to be 0 (melee). In the newer sets certain totems gained other ATK types.

In the FAQ that used to be online it was mentioned that all Totems are considerd to be Ally (next to other printed traits) and have 0 ATK Melee unless otherwise noted on the card.
Spass

Unread post by Spass » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:36 pm

Thanks for reply.
Killax

Unread post by Killax » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:47 pm

Your welcome! Happy playing.
Thalvin

Unread post by Thalvin » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:59 pm

Hey there!

So, there are a few things to consider when addressing this question.

If you give your hero Assault, you absolutely can attack. In this case, Assault 3 would essentially mean that your hero has +3 ATK, but only on your turn.
The problem is that in the rule book, Assault doesn't specify a damage type, only that you have a +ATK value. My assumption is that you would be attacking with melee damage,
but I don't like to assume when it comes to the rules, so it's hard to say.

To address your part 2, you can add ATK value to your totems, and since the ability you referred to is instant, you would be able to add that before the combat begins, giving it that ATK value for the opposing turn. Again, without the totem specifying a damage type it's hard to say what it is, however many of the newer totems will have an ATK value of 0 but will specify a damage type.

Lastly, keep in mind that while totems are considered allies and abilities in almost all regards, they can't declare attacks. That doesn't mean that they can't deal damage as a defender though!
Spass

Unread post by Spass » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:42 pm

Well, since I created this topic I know much more about WoW TCG rules so I can clarify.

Thalvin wrote:My assumption is that you would be attacking with melee damage, but I don't like to assume when it comes to the rules, so it's hard to say.
Yes, rule 408.3a is about that - "For packets created during combat conclusion, the damage types of the source character. If none is specified, such a packet has type melee."

Thalvin wrote:Again, without the totem specifying a damage type it's hard to say what it is, however many of the newer totems will have an ATK value of 0 but will specify a damage type.
Now I know this issue was clarified by erratas. According to the newest Official Card Reference and 404.2b rule, damage types are as follows: Air Totems - Nature, Earth Totems - Melee, Fire Totems - Fire, Water Totems - Frost.
Last edited by Spass on Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thalvin

Unread post by Thalvin » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:01 pm

Ah nice, thank you for the clarification!